Friday, May 7, 2010

Movie Review: Iron Man 2


Iron Man 2 has finally arrived! With the success of the first film, my expectations for the sequel were very high. I'm happy to say my expectations were met! Unfortunately, there was very little for surprise, storywise, considering most of the film was revealed in its trailers. This movie has already been showing internationally for a week.

The action sequences were definitely exceeded my expectations, literally placing you in the drivers seat of Iron Man's suit. There was noticeably more casual/non-action screen time with Tony Stark wearing the physical suit (non CGI). Kudos to the costume designers and builders. The build detail was absolutely stunning. The level of flexibility and mobility made the Iron Man armor really come to life on screen. In addition, the screen time transition between the CGI suit and the "real suit" was extraordinarily seamless adding more layers of great eye candy.

The campy one-liners was much more present in this film than the last, but they didn't go overboard. Nick Fury's "I got my eye on you" line made me roll my eyes a bit, but it was hardly something to shake a stick at. The one thing I could've done without was Favereau's fight scene. It seemed a bit out of place.

Micky Rourke, Sam Rockwell, Don Cheadle and Scarlett Johansson were fantastic additions to this sequel! Rourke and Rockwell in particular made a great villainous duo. If you didn't already know, Rourke time spent in a real Russian prison (for research purposes), and it absolutely paid off! Don Cheadle delivered as usual, making me wonder why he wasn't chosen in the first place to play Rhodey. [strike]Too bad, so sad Terrence Howard[/strike] Scarlet Johansson as black widow was a little misplaced if you ask me. Beyond being Iron Man 2's newest hottie, she didn't really play a significant role other than showing showing off her kick ass moves.

Overall, this is a great movie that carries the same excitement as the first. Explosive action, great dynamic cast and plethora of comic hints and nods! Two thumbs-up from this reviewer!

No comments: