Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Movie Review: Avatar


Happy New Year! Another day, another decade!

I’ll admit, I had my reservations about Avatar. No critic screening and a five-hundred million dollar budget seemed like a recipe for disaster. A very expensive disaster! Well… I walked out of the theater pleasantly surprised!

Avatar’s story isn’t terribly unique if you’re looking at the top line premise of the film. It’s basically man’s obsession for money and industry versus the spirit of nature and mother earth. The unforgiving human race is on the planet of Pandora to mine rare metal that sells for millions on Earth. The natives, the Na'vi, are unwilling to relocate their home and livelihood where the rare metal is located. The humans declare war on the Na'vi, reeking havoc on Pandora.

What makes Avatar unique is the world James Cameron created. He created an alien race, language and planetary way of life for this film. I should also mention that James Cameron developed new film technology for the movie which was very impressive, making animated facial expression realistic and virtually tangible. The 3D experience was an added bonus for this film. I was concerned that the 3D visuals would get annoying after thirty minutes into the film, but that was not the case at all, making for a smooth visual experience. Keep in mind, Avatar is over two and a half hours long. I’m happy to say I didn’t find one dull moment in the movie. There is enough action and drama at every turn to keep you entertained.

Overall, Avatar is a must see, especially in 3D. I can see myself watching this movie again in theaters, hopefully in IMAX.

No comments: