Thursday, August 27, 2009

Guess who the new Batgirl is?

If you don't want to be spoiled by my brief review of Batgirl #1 that came out 8/19... please discontinue reading from here.



Batgirl has made a round table of transfers from Barbara, Helena, Cassandra... and now... Stephanie Brown.

Previously parading as the Spoiler [then dying at one point... still not sure how she's back], she was handed the keys to the Batgirl mantle by Cassandra herself. No rhyme or reason behind it, as if Cassandra was simply tired of fighting crime as Batgirl. Fighting side-by-side with Stephanie, Cassandra decided to take off the cape and cowl, leaving it with Stephanie. From there, Stephanie literally jumped into the Batgirl role, to be observed by Batman and Robin from afar. There was no monumental transition, no one died and no one cried. It was as if passing a hot potato from one person to another without a second thought. I can't say that I'm terribly disappointed because I like Cassandra, but I think Cassandra doesn't have much else to contribute as a main character. I could be wrong, I didn't keep up with her new title consistently, but she always struck me as a better supportive character. I mean, how much could you really develop a minimally speaking character as a lead character. Let's see how the sophomore issue goes.

No comments: