Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Batman Beyond Going Digital


Batman Beyond lasted three short seasons from 1999 to 2002. It spawned one movie, a variety of cameos and it's own comic book title, being put to rest shortly after the television series ended. Strangely, the show ended simply because it wasn't commissioned for more seasons, not because of a lack of popularity or ratings. Well, Terry McGinnis is back, not only with a brand new comic book series, but with a digital makeover. If there's any comic book title more fitting to be transformed in our new new highway of information consumption, it only seems appropriate that Terry McGinnis lead the way with its cyberpunk futuristic tone. I've been dabbling with DC Comics' ComiXology app on my iPhone, and I must say I really like it. It's a great way to take comics to-go without the hassle of piling stacks-and-stacks of long boxes. Although for me, it's too late for that. What do I think about the future of traditional comic books, the brick and morters and the oh-so-lovable comic book guys of the world? I'm sure they'll continue to endure. If die hard comic book fans can't get over Ryan Reynold's CGI Green Lantern suit, I'm sure they're not clamoring Apple stores for iPhones and iPads.

No comments: