Saturday, April 10, 2010

Movie Review: Clash of the Titans


I finally saw Clash of the Titans last night. I was thoroughly unimpressed with this film. When the trailers first hit the internets, I was genuinely excited to see this being remade. Who didn't love the charm that the original 1981 version had in all it's stop-motion glory. For the remake, I was particularly thrilled about the caliber of actors lined up: Liam Neason, Sam Worthington, Ralph Fiennes, all under the direction of Louis Leterrier. It sounded like a recipe for success. Unfortuinately for me, it was quite the opposite.

The storyline felt quite disconnected. They were doing well with Perseus' plight at the start of the film, but the movie takes a quick turn for the worse. Suddenly, soldiers are dismembering a statue of Zeus, Perseus suddenly knows how to wield a sword while assembling a gang to take down the gods, and there's a Krackin that shows up for less than a few minutes. I mean, the story wasn't really grounded anywhere, and I could care less if the Kracken ate the princess that was to be sacrificed or if it destroyed the city of Argos.

Did CGI take a few step backwards on this film? Or were they trying to recapture the stop-motion essence the original film had. Either way, it was terrible. It's as if a photoshop expert made this film, cutting and pasting their way throughout the movie. From Medusa to the Krackin, nothing really made my eyes flicker with excitement.

In the end, what glory was one? It just didn't feel like anything was at stake. I like every actor in this film including the director, it just seems like it was written all wrong. This movie gets two thumbs way down.

No comments: